5 Easy Ways to Spruce Up Your Site
It’s that time of the year, when all of us get around to doing a little spring cleaning, this also ought to apply to your business website, also. It’s far too easy to let this task go by the wayside, however the results of this is a progressive loss of visitors, a poor site reputation and even sales. Even though this can be a rather subtle way to weak performance, as you don’t normally see it happening, it’s still a very real problem.
So in the spirit of prevention, here are 5 ways for you to make a huge difference in terms of how your sites appear, operate and prosper.
- Are your pages loading quickly? – It’s been said you've got less than 10 seconds to load your page or the majority of people will abandon and head for faster, greener pastures. If your site is image heavy, and loaded with flash, you may well need to optimize for faster performance. Moreover, Google will penalize your site in the search rankings if your pages load too slowly.
- Old products, programs, links lurking – You should definitely remove any old product, programs and links that are no longer applicable. Almost nothing helps say your page is stale and dated more than your PDF download from 2008 that’s not only dated but unavailable. Dead links and 404 pages will also not help your search rankings, either.
- Stale content and old images – Likewise cull out text and images that are no longer topical. All those awesome pictures from 2007 which feature people no longer working with you can probably be archived, don’t you think? People and search engines tend to be after fresh, current content!
- Refresh your social media – Make sure that your social media buttons not only link to your current social media sites, but that you are current with them.
- Fresh content – Nothing will help as much as fresh, updated content, in the form of posts, videos, audios, and images. If you've got posts on the first page of your blog that are over the age of a month, you may want to rethink your content strategy.
Break out your virtual broom and start sweeping. Your visitors will thank you!